I give thanks… for the holidays:-) Can you believe Thanksgiving is around the corner and it’s time to consider the Thanksgiving Menu, Decor and Family Activities?? Ohhh… the great food and fun that will be shared! This year, let’s try something new. Let’s put a twist on some of those classic menu items. Let’s start a new tradition. Let’s involve the family in giving in a completely different way!
Here are some of my ideas on Traditional with a Twist for Thanksgiving! This includes food, fun and giving back.
First… for the menu, try some of these twists on old classics:
1. Most of us tend to cook a whole turkey regardless if its baked, glazed or deep fried but WHOLE turkey it is! Try a different twist… Jerk Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry-Habanero Salsa! Please click the link to read the recipe.
2. Instead of regular green bean casserole and mashed potatoes, opt for this recipe from myrecipes.com: Asparagus New Potato Hash!
3. Another green option to add to the table is the lovely Kale-Apple Coleslaw from chow.com! Talk about umm-umm good.
4. I love this option for healthier potatoes from I Breathe I’m Hungry: Cheesy Cauliflower Puree.
For table settings and family fun, try one or all of these:
5. Use food filled, do it yourself centerpieces and place card holders for this years table such as the one shared from epicurious.com
6. Decorate in dramatic purples versus the normal hues of orange, browns and greens. I love this idea from momtoob.com where there are many styles to choose from using the color of royalty.
7. Yes, it is a day of giving thanks. It is also a day of watching the Macy’s Day Parade and football but this year, why not add some additional fun of family games to the mix. You can create a craft corner to keep the kids busy and when it comes to table convo, try the “Grateful Conversations”. Write on cut out leaves or feathers grateful statements such as those shown below from spoonful.com:
● What are you most grateful for?
● What invention are you most thankful for?
● What do you often forget to be thankful for?
● Which season do you appreciate the most?
8. Create a new tradition and have the family join in a Turkey Trot! It’s a great way to get the body moving before packing on the extra calories. They are EVERYWHERE! I’m sure one is near you.
9. Play Turkey Bowling with the kids. They will get a kick out of it and so will you.
10. Find a way to give back to someone less fortunate than you and involve everyone! Create a box at the front door and every guest must bring a toy or non perishable item that can then be given to a needy organization. You can even do a gift basket for Gobble Gobble Give, Help feed the hungry or even create care packages with the family for our troops. Also you can find other ways to give back at divinecaroline.com.
Please share some ways you will put a twist on your Thanksgiving traditions this year!